Let’s face facts-while having a clean home is often near the top of people’s “wants” list, doing the tasks that actually beget a clean home seldom are. With that in mind, I’m here today to share 5 simple everyday habits for a cleaner home. It was hard to narrow it down to just five, but I truly believe these five habits are the keys to a cleaner home, without a large investment of time or energy. Let’s get started!
1. Use the right products for the cleaning task. I admit, I’m guilty, too, of not always using the right products for the task I’m trying to complete. But the bottom line is this: using the right products will get your home cleaner, faster, and will even help protect your furniture and surfaces, while using the wrong products can strip, dull or damage your furniture.
For wood surfaces in my home, I make sure to always use Pledge. Unlike other cleaners Pledge is pH- balanced. This means its worry-free formula cleans without clouding up or stripping away the finish. In addition, Pledge leaves surfaces radiant: The Lemon Clean Furniture Spray brings out the natural beauty of my surfaces by gently cleaning and shining.
2. Sort mail and catalogs as soon as you bring them into your home. Even better: make a quick stop at your recycling bin and trash can so that junk mail/unwanted catalogs don’t even make it into your home. Once you get your mail inside, sort it into categories that work for you, such as: Bills to Pay, Documents to File Away, Letters to Respond To, etc.
3. Have a place for everything, and put things away as you use them. This seems self-explanatory and so, well, obvious, but I really do find that putting things away right after I use them helps tremendously in the amount of picking up I need to do at the end of the day. We try to put toys/art supplies away as we finish we them, put plates in the dishwasher when we’re finished eating, and put clothes away immediately after we take them off. This tends to reduce clutter and make the need for time-consuming clean-ups almost nonexistent.
4. Wipe down and clear clutter from surfaces after every use. This habit isn’t hard, and makes a huge difference in how clean our home feels. We wipe down and clear counters after we prep meals, our dining room table after dinner, and our coffee table at the end of the day. As I mentioned in my first tip, I always try to use the right product for the job…Pledge Lemon Clean for wood surfaces and a multi-purpose cleaner for my counter tops and sinks.
5. Dry sinks and faucets after use. This tip is an extension of the last. After using a sink, whether in the bathroom or kitchen, I try to wipe it down quickly, even if it’s just with a paper towel. This helps prevent water spots from developing and helps keep fixtures looking shiny and clean, which goes a long way towards making our home feel cleaner.
So tell me, what “clean home habits” are on your list?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.